Description of Issue
The machine uses the top surface on the swinging bit touch plate (located at the far right of travel) to locate the position of the bit tip during its homing routine. Failure to touch the top surface of the bit plate results in a “Please Load Bit Error” discussed above. The bit touch plate swings out by the force of the Y-truck pushing against the plate’s lever arm.
Causes include: The bit touch plate swings out by the force of the Y-truck pushing against the plate’s lever arm. If the bit plate is not swinging all the way out, then something is preventing that movement. Use the steps below to identify the obstruction.
- Clean and lubricate the bit plate pivot post and spring. Clean the plate mechanism with compressed air and spray WD40 on the spring. Crank the head all the way up to the top and spry upward at the pivot shaft. Actuate the bit plate several times to let the WD40 penetrate the mechanism.
- Make sure that there are no obstacles to the Y-truck moving far enough to the right to actuate the swinging bit plate. Turn the machine off, position the Y-truck on the left near to the keypad, and move Y-truck all the way to the right side of the machine. Pay attention to see if the Y-truck is getting stuck somewhere along the travel. Check for wires or interference with the cover that prevent the Y-truck for moving far enough right. Also check that the screws holding the Z encoder cap are not hitting on the cover at the far right side.
- Check that the Y-belt is properly tensioned. If the belt is loose, it can prevent the truck from having enough force to push the touch plate out. Watch Y-Belt Tensioning Video
- Make sure that there are no obstacles to the Z-truck moving far enough down to touch the top surface of the bit plate.
- If none of the above steps solves the issue consult with CarveWright Service.